Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mac G4 video card advice?

Hey Mac lovin' guys and girls I need some advice. I have a dual 450MHz G4 with over a gig of ram and the original ATI Rage128Pro 16MB video card. I'm tired of the sometimes stuttering video and assume it's the fault of the whopping 16MB of V-ram and I want to get a new (or used) video card but I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure out what kind I should get. Would 128MB card be good, should I look for a 256MB card? What brands are best, ATI, NVidia, others?



I don't game. I do watch a lot of video using, streaming and downloaded avi, mpegs, wmv and so on. I mostly use VLC and Quicktime Pro to watch.



Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan|||Actually, your video card doesn't have much to do with video playback, at least at normal resolutions. At least, nowhere NEAR as much as your processor. You aren't trying to watch 1920x1200 native res. videos, are you? If so, you'll need at least a 1.8 Ghz Core2Duo processor, plus a decent video card, or at least a 2.66 Ghz Core2Duo, if using onboard video.



BTW, having an SMP system doesn't help you, unfortunately, since both are so slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment